Gartner Inc., a global leading information technology research and advisory company recently released their much anticipated 2012 Magic Quadrant for Cloud-based Project and Portfolio Management Services outlining the best online PPM solutions on the market today. In the report, which places EPM Live as the only challenger in the Cloud-based Project and Portfolio Management Services space, they explain the direction of the market and offer up reasons why an organization would want to make the switch to a SaaS provider.
EPM Live’s SaaS-based PPM software is able to support both types of Gartner defined customers, project execution level and project portfolio level. EPM Live also specializes in supporting all departments and verticals such as IT, Project Portfolio Management, New Product Development, Application Lifecycle Management, Professional Services Automation, etc. EPM Live’s numerous integrations allow organizations to bring all work into one centralized location for overall visibility and insight.
According to Gartner, vendors recognized as “challengers” in this Magic Quadrant, “resemble Leaders in many ways, such as product depth and breadth — combined with enough experienced product development, sales and marketing personnel to effectively reach and meet the needs of the market.” Gartner goes on to say that the same characteristics that apply for Leaders can be applied to Challengers. “Challengers, however, appear as such mainly because they may have recently embraced PPM SaaS as their main business model, or that model and general practice, although the focal point going forward, has not eclipsed their other business models, which may include a history in on-premises and/or hosted PPM software implementations.”
Supporting the challenger diagnosis, EPM Live CEO Joe Larscheid states “Although SaaS has taken the market by storm and will continue to be the front runner in modern PPM deployments, EPM Live will continue to hold its position as the leading Microsoft SharePoint-based PPM on-premise software on the market as well, allowing us to support both markets and giving our customers the flexibility and deployment options they need to make them successful. We believe the fact that we are recognized for both SaaS and On-Premise software is a true affirmation of our vision and intent to meet the needs of a rapidly growing and changing market.”
Gartner explains in the report, “Cloud, a style of computing in which scalable IT-enabled capabilities are delivered as a service to external customers using Internet technologies, enables rapid deployment of solutions anytime and anywhere. SaaS is software-owned, delivered and managed remotely by one or more providers. It enables rapid delivery of PPM solutions that balance standardization and configurability. To balance the need for standardization and configurability, these service providers tend to provide their offerings as cloud-native (designed initially for the cloud) or cloud-optimized (whereby the underlying software has been refactored or redesigned for cloud use). These lighter-weight offerings provide the core functionality desired by mainstream PPM leaders, and have evolved as cloud-based PPM services. These services have rapid time to value, and minimize financial commitment and risk. Strong demand for these solutions will persist for at least another year.”
There are many reasons why an organization would want to move their business to a SaaS solution, I analyzed many of them in my previous article, “The Long Term Value of SaaS PPM Applications – An EPM Live Analysis,” and below you find a few of those previous mentioned as well as those supported by Gartner in the latest report.
- Time to market- A PPM solution is needed now (less than 30 days) for process automation, reporting and standardization.
- Minimal customization needed- At the current time of implementation, heavy customization is not required and in depth integrations are not necessary to receive ROI out of the toolset.
- On premise functionality is not required now or in the future.
- Security- The security levels that can be met by an online application meets the security needs of the organization.
- Limited funding- Most SaaS software can be obtained for much less than an on-premise model. Cost models for SaaS are typically based on monthly payments and require less upfront fees, no internal infrastructure costs and less resources.
- Low organizational maturity- The organizational maturity level may be low which means that comprehensive and complex functionality could overwhelm your users. SaaS will allow you to adopt the functionality you are ready for immediately and grow as your organization matures.
- Limited users- SaaS is a great option for small organizations that need 50 licenses or less. With EPM Live, the license model is such that large organizations can take advantage of the SaaS offering as well and still reap the benefits.
- Low cost, low risk POC (proof of concept)- Many organizations don’t have a lot of funding upfront and are hesitant to dump their funds into a POC that will consume their budgets. SaaS is a perfect option that allows you to get up and running now online with little or no upfront costs.
EPM Live’s online PPM solution aligns directly with many of the proposed SaaS qualification points. EPM Live understands there are many levels of users across an organization and those users have different work, different processes and different PPM maturity alignment. We have successfully completed implementations for large organizations which increased user adoptability within the business. EPM Live allows organizations the ability to define and enforce Enterprise requirements while allowing individual teams the ability to customize their solution to work the way they work, ultimately increasing ownership and adoption of PPM technology. EPM Live is flexible, easily configurable and gets your organization the best price value. EPM Live specializes in bringing all work into one centralized platform so there is less of a need to use segregated tools within the enterprise. EPM Live offers a free 30-day trial of our online Project Portfolio Management solution, so get started today!