- Morehouse School of Medicine is among the nation’s leading educators of primary care physicians and was recently recognized as the top institution among U.S. medical schools for its social mission.
- Morehouse School of Medicine’s Division of Information Technology’s needed a Project Portfolio Management solution that would align strategy to IT work efforts, ensuring the highest priority initiatives were being accomplished and tracked.
- It also required a system that easily allowed stakeholders to evaluate their portfolio against financial, strategic and risk criteria.
- It addition to that, Morehouse needed to leverage its current SharePoint deployment in order to protect its initial investment.
Morehouse School of Medicine enlisted the services of Cobblestone Consulting, a widely respected project and portfolio implementation consultancy firm, to help them navigate their path to success.
Taking into consideration Morehouse School of Medicine’s PMO requirements for collaboration, Cobblestone Consulting implemented a two-phased solution:
1) Framework which allows its leadership to optimize their portfolio against financial, strategic and risk evaluation criteria
2) Deployment of a higher education project portfolio management solution that will:
- Align Planning Strategy
- Sort and Prioritize Human and Capital Resources
- Manage Projects that Deliver VALUE
- PMO Design and Development
- IT Governance Model and Training
- Training & Workshops
“The goal was to achieve business value with their initial SharePoint investment and methodical strategic planning to minimize risk and maximize potential benefits,” said Laurie Bacopoulos, Cobblestone Founder and CEO.
Cobblestone first deployed Morehouse’s EPM Live for small to medium-sized businesses with pre-installed SharePoint Web applications and templates to choose from. This product, along with IT Governance processes, met the immediate need of the organization until the plan for an enterprise project and work management option was in place. As the Morehouse School of Medicine Information Technology division matured, Cobblestone continued to work closely with senior leadership to deploy the second phase solution, EPM Live’s Project and Portfolio and Work Management tool, specifically tailored to meet the challenges and requirements of higher education.
The Morehouse School of Medicine, Information Technology division knew they needed to deploy a Project Portfolio Management System (PPM) to address their business challenges but was concerned with introducing too much complexity for its personnel. The organization entrusted Cobblestone Consulting Inc. as its strategic advisor, to select the ‘right-fit’ PPM solution. PPM tool selection was a critical step to ensure system acceptance and data integrity. EPM Live’s PPM tool ensured the right mix of functionality and ease-of use for the organization.
With EPM Live, the Information Technology organization was able to rapidly develop business-centric dashboard views of its project portfolio with dynamic, real-time reporting, including resource utilization and capacity analytics. Ultimately, MSM will be able to effectively monitor and control project resources and direct key staff efforts to strategic roadmap projects without compromising existing customer project support.